Historic restoration and preservation of brick masonry buildings is a rapidly growing construction field, and mortar evaluations are a required initial step for these projects. This is because the proportions of the existing historic mortar will dictate the proportions of the new repointing mortar.
Our experienced team of professional geologists, petrographers and professional engineers evaluate the mortar within our ISO 17025, AASHTO R18, and Army Corps of Engineers accredited laboratoryin accordance with ASTM C1324.
The evaluations combine chemical analysis techniques and petrographic examinations on the mortar to determine the following characteristics:
- Sand lithology, gradation, texture, and color’
- Type of cementitious material and lime content
- Air content and presence of entrained air voids
- Porosity, quality, and durability
- Equivalent ASTM C270 mortar type
- Indications of previous repointing material
- Recommended proportions of repointing mortar
Professional Geologist Registrations:GA, AL
Professional Engineer Registrations:GA, AL, SC, NC, FL, MS, TN, TX, IL, PA